Thursday, August 31, 2023

Love By The Numbers (For Norma Lynn)

 

Forty-six years ago I met her

And I first saw that smile

Two years on a campus

When I was young and wild

Out of there by twenty-one

Struggling to cope

With no sense of direction

Losing faith and losing hope

At twenty-two I saw her

A crowded football game

She smiled and said they missed me

Surprised she knew my name

She hugged me, smiled and walked away

Sweet Angel, one so kind

And I returned to darkness

Walking lonely, feeling blind

Thirty-four years slipped away

I tripped and stumbled on

With no thought of this Angel

My heart became like stone

Nine years ago I found her

When my heart needed a friend

Someone to simply care

 As all I knew came to an end

Her friendship and compassion

Helped heal my broken heart

She helped me learn to smile again

New life began to start

I tried to hide my feelings

For two years deep inside

Until she fell six years ago

No longer would I hide

Five years ago we married

And ending, oh so sweet

But our story has more chapters

Before it is complete

I cannot know how many years

We'll share here in this life

But I'll cherish every day with her

My best friend, love and wife

 

cn08312023

 



No comments:

Post a Comment